Sunday, September 11, 2011

A vintage inspired soaker and pattern.

I think I've mentioned it before.... but I LOVE cloth diapers, and wool soakers. Love to the point of obsession really.... AND, of course, I love vintage styles. How could you not?

So... I was bored with my usual knitting pattern.... so looking for inspiration I kept seeing these awesomely simple and cute vintage patterns for "Triangle" soakers. I don't know why, but I didn't like a lot of the patterns, or rather, the way they read so I made up my own. I also didn't want seems in the waistband, and wanted that to be as stretchy as possible. I made it up as I went, but it's super simple so I thought I would share....

To make a vintage inspired soaker in size medium

Materials:
Peace Fleece worsted (80% wool, 20% mohair. Delish)
Size 5 16 inch circular knitting needles for waistband
Size 8 16 inch circular knitting needles for body
darning needle for seeming
Pot of tea and a few good movies (it took me about 5 hours to finish, I think)

Cast on 72 stitches onto the size 5 needles, connect to work in the round. Work 1x1 ribbing (knit one, purl one) around and for 2 inches (or longer if you would like a higher soaker, this is more of a bikini fit)

Switch to size 8 needles, begin to work the round, but do not continue. At the end of the round, turn and knit, you will be working "flat" but you need the circlular needles because of the waistband's shape. You should now have two rows. I added a pattern along the sides, if you would like to do so, begin now. Also note your odd rows should be your right side.

Row 3: K1, P1, K1, P1, knit to last 4 stitches, P1, K1, P1, K1, turn
Row 4: K1, P1, K1, P1, knit to last 4 stitches, P1, K1, P1, K1, turn
Row 5: Begin decrease: K1, P1, K1, P1, K2tog, knit to last 6 stitches, Sl, K1, PSSO,  P1, K1, P1, K1, turn
Row 6: K1, P1, K1, P1, knit to last 4 stitches, P1, K1, P1, K1, turn

Continue in this manner until you have only the pattern stitches left, try to keep the pattern as much as possible while continuing to decrease every other row until only one stitch remains. This should create a triangle. Break yarn leaving a long tail for seaming, pull tail through last stitch to bind off. Fold triangle up so the point fits in at the waistband where you began your body rows. Stitch corner to waistband and down the opening about half way. Secure, and seam the other side in the same manner. Voila! Easy peasy soaker. AND it's going to be a good "bullet proof" bum cover because of the nice thick fabric created by the garter stitch, and the great booty coverage. Lanolize it and you're ready to go (lanolizing tutorial coming soon).



Leg opening detail of the seed stitch. 
The butt! The garter stitch makes a great, thick, stretchy fabric, great for soakers

Thanks for reading, I hope the "pattern" makes sense, feel free to contact me with any questions! Happy knitting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment