Sunday, March 20, 2011

Have I ever told you how much I love mac and cheese?

I love, love, love comfort foods... and so does my husband. I have an obsession with different and yummy recipes for macaroni and cheese, chili and lasagna just to name a few. On tonight's menu is something I won't be eating because I didn't make it gluten free (sometimes this is a good way to keep me from eating extra calories while still making something delish for the hubs). He's having macaroni and cheese. The twist? chicken, Jarlsberg cheese, tomatoes and whole grain pasta. I thought I would share the recipe, or rather, the technique... the recipe sort of varies with your mood and how everything is looking.... It's really, really quick too, so it's great for weeknights. Enjoy!

Ingredients

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
olive oil
about a cup or so Jarlsburg (or more if you like), shredded
a cup or so of a good mild cheddar, shredded
2 cups whole milk (or if you are really daring, cream)
half cup (one stick) butter
1 tablespoons-ish flour
a pound of whole grain pasta
a pinch of nutmeg,
a quarter of a red onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, diced
some garlic
salt
pepper

Start your pasta

cut the chicken into chunks, season with salt and pepper and brown, add onion and garlic and cover to smother.

In a saucepan, over medium heat melt butter, add flour and whisk for a minute or two to cook, to increase flavor wisk and cook gently till butter begins to darken, meanwhile, pop milk in the microwave for about 45 seconds to take the chill off, whisk into the butter and flour mixture until smooth and thick (warming the milk makes it mix in smoother, I swear). When the milk starts to bubble, mix in cheeses gradually and add a pinch of nutmeg. Mix, mix, mix until everything is smooth and incorporated.

Drain your pasta, and toss it with chicken and cheese sauce, add the tomato. Pop it under the broiler if hubby can wait 10 minutes and serve. Baby spinach is also a really, really yummy addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment