Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day

Every day should REALLY be Earth Day, don't you think? Still... I think it's a great day to remind ourselves of the importance of our planet, and re-evaluate how we interact with it.

Every year for Earth Day (and New Years too....) I try to add one more "green" goal to my to do list, or at the very least, re-affirm the commitments I have made in the past.  For awhile, I lost sight of my green goals, I started using "regular" cleaning products again for money savings and convenience- or so I thought. This turned out to be a huge mistake. Not only did I feel guilty, but I suffered physically as well. I'm allergic to some of the harsh chemicals in certain cleaners and boy oh boy did I start having reactions, couldn't breath while cleaning the shower, my skin started breaking out in little bumps and red spots and I've been waking up with swollen, itchy, goobery eyes! ICK! So NOT pretty... Needless to say... I'm re-affirming my commitment to all-natural cleaning products and am going to try going the extra step of making my own, including laundry soap.

Speaking of laundry... now that the weather is starting to improve, washing will be done on nice days so it can go hang on the line. This also dissolves the need for bleach (which I also want to cut out completely) as the sun is great for removing stains! (even stubborn grape jelly stains from a toddler's clothes!)

I want to make more things from scratch, including yogurt and cheese. The homemade types are so much tastier, healthier and better for the environment (no excess packaging) so it's just laziness that has been keeping me from doing it. This also brings me to "ditching the packaging" and looking for bulk items to bring my own containers. Even at the health-food store, I want to bring my little jars to fill up with tea and herbs, and switch back to more loose leaf tea. Yea, it make seem more expensive, but it really isn't when you measure properly.

I'm expanding my garden as well, I've already "installed" the pumpkin patch, and when the weather is consistently warm enough the rest will be planted. I want to add more salad greens and herbs this year as well.

These are a only a few little things but I truly believe that if everyone made little changes, big impacts would be made.

Have a wonderful Earth Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment